This page will help you make a complaint and begin an investigation of a closed meeting.

Investigation Process

As of January 1, 2008, changes to the Municipal Act, 2001, as amended, (The Act) came into effect and established a non-court process whereby the public can request an investigation to determine if the municipality has complied with the rules for open and closed meetings as contained in Section 239 of the Act, relating to any meeting or part of a meeting that was closed to the public.

The Corporation of the Municipality of Red Lake is committed to ensuring that any request for an investigation under Section 239 of the Act is dealt with in a fair, open and expeditious manner. The Municipality is committed to full cooperation including the provision of all information requested by our appointed Closed Meeting Investigator (the Investigator), either written or through interviews, to assist the Investigator with his investigations.

The Closed Meeting Investigation process does not apply to the Police Services Board or the Public Library Board.

Further information regarding this section of the Act can be accessed at the following web link: Municipal Act Section 239.

The Ontario Ombudsman is the Closed Meeting Investigator for the Municipality of Red Lake whose role is to conduct investigations upon receipt of a complaint in respect of meetings or part of meetings that are closed to the public to determine compliance with the Act or the Municipality's Procedural By-law and to report the results of such investigations to Council.

Complaint Process

Members of the public, including corporations, may submit complaints to the Closed Meeting Investigator. All complaints will be treated as confidential and will be handled directly by the office of the Ombudsman of Ontario. To submit a complaint, please complete the Complaint Form.

More questions about closed meeting investigations?

Find out more information:

Office of the Ombudsman of Ontario
483 Bay Street
10th Floor, South Tower
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 2C9
Contact the Office of the Ombudsman of Ontario.